Freedom and Charitable Service.
The love of freedom and the quest for liberty are core qualities of humanity. Freedom to live as one desires is a motivation that we seek in all areas of life. Those that identify with their country seek national or political freedom; those inspired by economic desires seek financial freedom; those oriented by religious inspiration seek religious freedom and those who are guided by social or cultural ideals seek freedom of expression. As a spiritual Master from India once shared: “Even if all the external conditions of a free life were completely fulfilled and guaranteed, the soul of man would still remain in woeful bondage if it failed to realize spiritual freedom”. Meher Baba.
All types of freedom identified with external conditions are defined by the ever-changing circumstances of this world of duality in which we live. Even when the conditions appear promising, secure and permanent they are capable of deteriorating over time; we only need to study various movements in history to witness this fact. On the other hand, spiritual freedom liberates the soul of outer desire enslavement and the yearning for something outside itself in order to attain happiness. When we liberate ourselves of this human condition and the dissatisfaction it brings, we embrace the unity of all life and the abiding happiness that only spiritual freedom gives.
Charitable service intends to bring the basic necessities of life to those in need, such as food, shelter, clothing, education and medicine. At the same time, we must recognize that those in the world who are in the throws of mental, emotional and spiritual suffering from the bondage they feel to the inner conditions of life, to loneliness, depression, despair, lack of love, and impoverished human values are in just as much need of support.
Our non-for-profit foundation aims to promote peace and harmony in the world by educating individuals through the use of methods, which improve the spiritual and psychological qualities of their lives as well as the development of compassion and conflict resolution.
We believe that through the inner transformation of self-defeating attitudes and beliefs and the healing of life traumas, a more positive and spiritually-centered inner life will unfold: an existence based on the universal values of compassion and unconditional love that will bring an improvement in the outer quality of life lived.
Many of our students have become leaders in their own communities promoting of our foundation goals. We teach healing techniques for dealing with depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress, marital and family conflict, racial and ethnic divides and the emotional suffering that individuals and families have endured through political oppression in post war. The programs are taught by Dr. Nicholas Demetry, a medical doctor specializing in psychiatric and holistic medicine, cultural psychology and spiritual and alternative medical practices. He is joined by his wife Maria Demetry a counselor and natural healer and a support staff of qualified professionals.
The majority of our work is now centered in European countries. We are requesting financial assistance for two major projects: the construction and operation of the Etherikos Center for Conscious Living and Aging.
Spiritual Inspirations to Contemplate for Daily Living
A Daily Practice for Spiritual Health
The following spiritual practice of non-directed prayer is offered to support the development of inner stillness and internal connection to your God-Source within.
- Close your eyes, breathe deeply, and visualize yourself in a column of white or golden light. Fill yourself with this light.
- Repeat several times “Thy will be done”.
- Breathe deeply, focus on your heart, and repeat to yourself several times a sacred name for the divine, such as “God”, “Hu”, or “Om”. You can chant the holy name softly if you desire.
- Continue for 10-15 minutes. You can also chant the word silently during this period.
- Enjoy the inner stillness and listen for guidance. You may even wish to ask an important question and in time receive an answer from within.
- Complete your process by breathing consciously and deeply three to five times. You are ready to return.
Factors shown to increase longevity, support your spiritual health and quality of life.
- Mediterranean diet(Plant-based). Shown to lower the risk of heart disease.The diet is low in meat and sugar and high in legumes and vegetables and extra virgin olive oil. Eating a diet that emphasizes seasonal produce.
- Goat milk-High in Tryptophan which reduces stress hormones and lowers the risk of heart disease.
- Wild Greens rich in antioxidants.Eating more local produce.
- Herbal teas that decrease blood pressure and the chances of developing dementia.
- Daily exercise.
- Daily naps.
- Strong sense of community.
- Low sense of time urgency.
- Spiritual faith,communal worship and a sense of higher purpose in life.
- Cultivating a positive mental attitude.(Especially the virtues of forgiveness,compassion and laughter)
- Daily spiritual practice-prayer,meditation or contemplation.
- Creativity in daily living-Helps fight depression.